Tuesday, November 17, 2015

Dear Rosie

Dear Rosie,
It's never easy to say goodbye to family. I will look back on the two short years we had together as nothing short of life changing. As the hardest part of my life came to a climax, you came into my life. Roy and I had just moved back to Utah as I looked to begin my journey to become a teacher. I remember thinking that I would never have a chance like this to become a breeder. I excitedly looked searched for a future friend for Roy. I didn't have to look for long.
I can still see the picture of your beautiful sweet little face on my screen, and I remember knowing that I wanted to have you in my family. I drove a short distance to the home where you were living, with Roy close behind. We sat in your current owners home while Roy excitedly tried to say "hi", but you would not leave your master's side. I didn't realize it at the time, but this moment so well defined what my experience would be with you. It only took a moment and you were in the car coming home with me.
It took some time, but before long you Roy and I were family. The three of us shared the bed (even if it was a twin), and you were always happy to snuggle up next to me when it was cold. I loved that you would climb into the bed, and rest your head on my shoulder. Those first couple of months were a particularly rough time for me, and all along the way I had you for support. Your sweet face, peaceful smile, and wagging tale got me through some really rough times.
Then spring came along, and it was obvious that you were about to bring puppies into the world. I remember preparing our home for them, as you got bigger and bigger. You got HUGE! It became impossible for you to keep up with Roy when we would go play, but he always made sure you got to retrieve the ball from time to time. 
3:45 am May 23 2014- I woke up to a squeal in my room. I jumped out of bed and turned on the lights. Sure enough the first puppy was on his way. We called him Tank because he was so big compared to his siblings. I watched in awe as you delivered puppy after puppy. You knew exactly what to do. Each one was carefully cleaned, and set safely beside you before the next arrived. There were times when I thought you had to be done, after all you were barely a year old and were having your first litter. It wasn't until number 13 arrived that you stood up to admire your work. You were so proud, and so tired. The next 9 weeks you dealt with a lot, but handled it like only the best mom's could. Every puppy got the food they needed, and they were always clean. But even with all that love you still knew they needed to go to their new families. I will never understand how you were so well prepared, but I will always admire that were.
As the puppies left to live with their new families, you seemed to sigh with relief that you would be able to recover. You began to play just as hard as you ever had. You grew back your beautiful coat, and your energy sprang back. It was back to cuddling on the couch, and sleeping in my bed.
It wasn't long, until litter number 2 came. I will take the blame for not giving you much time to recover, but you never held it against me. Just as the first you raised the puppies with perfect love. There were more trials this time, but nothing would stop you from keep your puppies healthy. Once again they went to new homes with your sweet temperament, ready to become someone else's family.
Thankfully there were no more puppies for you, I made sure of that. I wanted you to have a long break, and to be able to enjoy being a dog. Months passed and you became a wonderful, happy, and loving dog instead of a puppy. You waited patiently for me to get home from work every day. You would be sitting in your cage waiting. The minute you saw me your tail would wag, and you would smother me with kisses as I took you out for a run. Even Roy couldn't keep up with you. You would beat him to the ball, but let him bring it back. It was like you were letting him join in the game, even though you could always beat him. When I prepared to throw the ball you would always stand completely still, not even blinking, as you waited for me to throw. Sometimes you even tried to cheat by waiting several feet away in the direction you expected me to throw. Your ears would perk up, and your smile would show until the ball went flying. Then like a dart you would take off. 
As you went into heat, I wanted to be extra certain you wouldn't have puppies. You went to stay with grandma and grandpa. I remember saying goodbye and loading you into the car. It was hard, but I knew they would take good care of you, and I knew you would take care of them. 
It wasn't long before both grandma and grandpa were making it clear that they loved having you around. Just like me, you loved them.
The call came today that you were sick. I could barely breath. Grandpa explained that you were not going to be able to recover. The hardest thing I have ever had to say was "let her go". In those three words I said goodbye to you. Mom put you on the phone one last time. I could see you lying in the vet clinic. I could see your ears perk up as you heard my voice. I could hear your breath and knew that your tail was wagging on the inside. I could feel the love you have for me.
Dearest Rosie, I love you. You have changed my life, and gotten me through some of the worst days I will ever experience. You are the best companion I could have asked for. I know I will see you again someday, but all the days between now and then will be a little less without you. Goodbye my friend.

1 comment: