Monday, May 26, 2014

Here's Roy

Roy was a birthday present in 2013. My father was a veterinarian in Ohio at the time, and had a client that was a golden retriever breeder. Every time this breeder brought in a litter of puppies, my mother and I would go to see them. It was always the highlight of my day. The puppies would always come in recently bathed, and incredibly well socialized. I can't begin to say how well I feel this breeder treated her puppies. Her reputation was so good that she basically never had any puppies available by the time she came in to have them given their shots. This time however, was a little different. When she brought in her puppies (which were all deep red, just as I wanted) my mother asked if any were available and it turned out that some were. After determining the price could easily be split between me and my parents as a birthday present we bought Roy.
As I said in an earlier post I have always wanted a golden retriever, and his name has always been Roy in my mind. As I went about deciding which puppy I would take, it became very clear that one puppy over all the others was warming up to me. When I would sit on the ground, the others would come and sniff me, but this little guy would crawl into my lap and try to lick my face. He had to be Roy, and it turned out he was. I compare it to wands in Harry Potter- the dog chose the owner.
Roy is a lap dog, and not just with me. He loves everyone he meets, and isn't shy about making friends. He loves climbing into people's laps, and persuading them to pet him. To me this is what every dog should do, but its obviously personal preference.
Roy is my friend. He knows when I'm having a bad day, and exactly how to cheer me up. He knows when it's time to play, and when it's time to calm down. I hope that he passes every one of his qualities onto his puppies.


2 comments:

  1. I love Roy. If his pups are as good natured as he is, well, that's a win for everyone involved. Roy is a great friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are so thrilled to have met you and your amazing family of Golden's. It has been 4 years since our dog of 10 years passed away and every day that passes without a dog in the family is an incomplete day. We are so excited to welcome a new little member into our family again. We could not have found a better blessing. Thanks for raising two wonderful dogs in Roy and Rosie who in turn are raising the next generation of joy!

    ReplyDelete