Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Mommy and Daddy

As the time for Rosie's delivery approached my mind ran over several scenarios about how my dogs would react to the arrival of these new dogs in the house. When I first got Rosie, Roy wasn't incredibly pleased. He was curious at first, but it seemed that the longer I had her the more jealous he got. They would rough house, but Roy would be a little rougher then I think was necessary. I do remember, however, one day when Rosie had apparently had enough. She began pinning Roy (who was much larger than her) and winning many of the tussles. After those earlier fights, the two became very close, and have since been inseparable.
Now back to their impression of the puppies. Rosie seems to beam with pride about her puppies. When she sits in her cage with them she grins from ear to ear, and absolutely glows. When she does leave her puppies for a small time she moves around as if dancing. With all of this in mind, the minute she hears the slightest peep or whine from her pups she is back in that room with them. Its amazing to see how attentive she is to them.
Roy seems very interested, and curious about the puppies. Many people have asked if I believe that he knows the puppies are his, and I do. Roy will regularly leave whatever room he's in and check on mom and pups. In several instances Roy will lie right outside of the cage looking at the puppies. If Rosie isn't in the room he may even step into the cage to sniff, and occasionally lick the puppies. Its like he's trying to help with the puppies but doesn't quite know what to do. In one instance I was holding a puppy and Roy came over to me, and ever so gently sniffed and licked the puppy in my hands. Roy and Rosie are big softies, and they love their pups.

1 comment: